Monday, July 22, 2013

5 Favorite Children's Books


When I was younger I absolutely loved to read. My favorite place to go was to the public library. Good thing we lived only a couple of blocks away from it! Now I still love reading and sometimes can read an entire book in one day, but I don't have the time I had when I was little. I'm sure you all know how that goes!

Now that I have kids of my own, my mom gave us the children's books from long ago. They are all great books for kids to read, but here are five of my favorites that I loved when I was little.



1. The Sugar Mouse Cake
This is an awesome book! I loved the story and illustrations. It's about a cook's assistant who gets help from a little white mouse to bake the best cake in the kingdom so then he becomes the King's Chief Pastry Cook. Unfortunately this book is no longer available, so if you find a copy somewhere, make sure you pick it up! 



2. The Bashful Bear
We have a very old copy of this book it looks like. I also loved this story about a little bear who is embarrassed that he is so small. He is chased by a coyote and after that he feels big!



3. Harry the Dirty Dog
This is a classic, I'm sure almost everyone has read this one when they were younger. Harry doesn't like to take baths so he runs away and hides the scrub brush. When he returns home he is dirty and nobody recognizes him. He fixes this by bringing back the scrub brush so they can give him a bath.



4. Come and Have Fun
This is an easy reader for children just starting to read. It is a cute little story about a cat chasing a mouse and his little mouse house.



5. The Story of Ferdinand
Another classic children's story. I love the illustrations in this book! It is the story of a bull who would rather smell flowers than fight in bullfights.

Reading with your child is very important, even when they are brand new babies they can benefit from it! Some of my best memories from childhood are based on reading and being read to. I hope my children love to read as much as I do and hopefully reading to them every day from a young age will help them learn to love it. 

What are some of your favorite books from when you were young?


Follow me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK and TWITTER!

(I might be linking to some of these lovely parties)

4 comments :

  1. I love this post! Especially since all of the illustrations were pre-computer generated images!!
    What a wonderful collection. I felt the same way about books and libraries when I was young. I would have looooooved to live so close. My faves included: Rainbow Brite and the Brookmeadow Deer, and any Berenstain Bear book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, older illustrations, especially children's books, are lovely!

      Delete
  2. Fabulous post Stephanie! Totally fabulous. I love all the classics you have listed here.

    Awesome! What a great reading list for my homeschoolers. Thanks so much for sharing, and also for linking up with us at the Mommy Monday Blog hop!

    Pinning to my homeschool link up pinterest board!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the pin! I'm glad you liked it :) I love classic children's books!

      Delete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...